Thailand Biennale, Korat 2021
As the foremost international exhibition of contemporary art in Thailand, the Office of Contemporary Art and Culture (OCAC), Ministry of Culture, Thailand, is organising the second Thailand Biennale titled “Thailand Biennale, Korat 2021”. As a national initiative of contemporary art, the organising institution of this biennial is planned to choose different cities and sites in Thailand for each edition.
Nakhon Ratchasima or Korat is one of the most prosperous provinces of Thailand that has outstanding historical sites and richness of nature with the second largest population after Bangkok. In addition to serving as the entry point to the Isan region, Korat is also ideally located at the intersection of three cultural spheres: Thai, Khmer, and Lao. Thus, artists from many countries are invited to collaborate with local communities so that integration between history, art and culture are encouraged to create a new format of artworks and projects around Korat City, Pak Chong and Phimai District.
Thailand Biennale will be staged on historical, cultural, communities, natural sites and art galleries, in collaboration with Nakhon Ratchasima Province, public and private sectors and itis set to launch on 18 December 2021 – 31 March 2022. Through exhibitions, workshops, conferences, publications and educational programs across differentformats and media, Thailand Biennale, Korat 2021 seeks to challenge the field of contemporary art, engage the public and inspire local concerning both tangible and intangible cultural resources.
Thailand Biennale, Korat 2021 addresses the theme and concept that spur international and local interest developed by the Artistic Director, Yuko Hasegawa and curator team; Tawatchai Somkong, Vipash Purichanont and Seiha Kurosawa. The Office of Contemporary Art and Culture, Ministry of Culture realizes that this biennale will encourage Thai contemporary art, inspire the creative ability to new emerging artists, educate and develop curatorial practices Moreover, Thai people have an opportunity to appreciate valuable works of art created by outstanding Thai and international artists. The Thailand Biennale will be organized biennially to promote tourism and designed to push forward the “Creative Economy”, adding intrinsic and economic value to art and cultural resources. We are certain that the exhibition will result in enhancement artistic collaboration to the people and public’s recognition of the values of art and culture with dignity in the future.
The Office of Contemporary Art and Culture, Ministry of Culture, Thailand
“To be a leading organization fostering cultural assets to raise economic and social value that leads to sustainable society.”
1. Disseminate and develop creative knowledge on contemporary art and culture in the field of Fine Arts and Applied Arts.
2. Increase product and service values based on contemporary art and cultural work.
1. Foster cooperation to create valuable work as well as disseminate and exchange knowledge among network parties.
2. Strengthen art and culture value in conformity with Thai culture.
1. Promote, support and provide an art gallery to disseminate contemporary artworks.
2. Collaborate with national, international, public, private art and cultural network parties.
3. Establish a center of information and communication for contemporary art.
4. Study and research for knowledge and intellectual development and the application of contemporary art.
5. Mobilize resources and provide funds or fund sources of contemporary art.
6. Develop recommendation of policies, action plans and strategies for implementation of contemporary art.
7. Promote, support and disseminate creative activities of contemporary art. 8. Other functions as prescribed by relevant laws to be responsibilities of the Office or being assigned by the Minister of Culture or the Cabinet.